Thursday, October 9, 2014

In the mood for my favorite blogs, Part One: Little Green Notebook

I read a lot of blogs, mostly home dec and cooking.  My favorites are the home dec bloggers who do a lot of DIY stuff.  I have no use for super expensive designers, or designers who hire everything out because, well, I don't have that kind of money, and I enjoy doing things myself.  While there are tons of DIY/decor blogs out there, there are a few (currently: 3) that I just DIE for.  That, when I see that they've posted a new blog, my heart skips a beat, and I may or may not fist-pump the air.  I have borderline-romantic feelings about these blogs.

My current top 3 are: Little Green Notebook, House*Tweaking, and Manhattan Nest.  I was going to include all three in one post, but it was just getting insanely long.  And like I said, I have borderline-romantic feelings about these blogs, so why rush?  I want to slow down and really savor them.  So I'm dedicating one post to each blog.  Okay?  Let's go!

Little Green Notebook is, hands down, my favorite blog on the blogwaves.  You've probably heard of it.  It's kind of a big deal.

Little Green Notebook is written by Jenny Komenda, a brilliant interior designer who lives in Arizona, loves color, has impeccable taste, awesome vision, and a can-do (almost anything) DIY attitude.  As I said in my last post, she is my spirit animal and I love her.  Jenny loves color, she's whimsical, and an incredibly hard worker.  She does it all.

I already shared a picture of her olive green bathroom (the bathroom of my dreams).  But let's just look at it again, mkay?



HOW CAN A BATHROOM BE SO GOOD?  It defies the laws of physics and stuff.

But wait, there's more.  Just look at her house.



That casing around the doorways is custom, she designed it herself.  The chevron wood floor is obviously brilliant, and I love that she mixed it so seamlessly with the rest of the flooring.  She has built-in bookcases (that she designed) with a rolling library ladder (that she found on craigslist).  I love that little yellow chair (mustard velvet with a glossy yellow frame?!), and that huge leaning gold mirror.  The way that the shot frames the entry, with the wallpaper, the library, and pulls the eye into the music room is just breathtaking.  I know that a professional photographer framed that shot, but STILL.  And the aqua in the music room... well, it's just the most perfect color ever.

Obviously, my girl has an amazing appreciation for, and talent in mixing, color.  I love color so much, and that's one reason why I love Jenny.



This is their Brooklyn brownstone (they live in Arizona now, as shown in the first pics).  The colors!  All the glorious color.  Also, those are Ikea Billy bookcases that Jenny and her parents turned into built-ins.  I'm telling you, this family has talent!  




This is a small bedroom in the same brownstone.  Instead of painting the room a light color, Jenny painted it this dark, moody green, Bavarian Forest, by Benjamin Moore.  She painted the nightstands (which Jenny made herself and mounted on the wall) and even the sconce cords, the same color as the walls so that they all blend in, which is brilliant.  The velvet coral headboard (that I believe Jenny made, because of course she did), pops off the dark green and makes me so happy.  And the moth prints.  Oh man.  Those are just cut out of a book and stuck into off-the-shelf frames from Michaels. And yet it all looks so rich.  How does she do it?  And can she move to Tampa and be my best friend and give me endless advice and inspiration?

In addition to the sheer joy I get in looking at the pretty, pretty pictures, though, I have to say that the main thing I get from Jenny is inspiration.  She inspires me so much.  I consider myself pretty creative, more creative than most.  But Jenny is in a whole other stratosphere.  And she has the talent to back it up.  I honestly don't know how she does it, and I never want it to end.

And speaking of inspiration, Jenny has the most brilliantly creative DIYs. From simple things like spray painting thrift store glass dishes to use as jewelry storage, to more complicated building projects like the Ikea Billy built-ins.



She did a whole series on how to reupholster an armchair, she DIY'ed a Sputnik chandelier using an Ikea pendant, which she recently updated, and she took a boring, ugly, ubiquitous vinyl chair and turned it into something cute with just spray paint.  Brilliant.




But my personal favorite is her DIY faux tortoise shell resin table top.



She made a table top out of resin, and it looks like tortoise shell.  Ya kiddin'?  Who does that?  As in, who thinks of that, in the first place, then attempts it, then makes it actually look good?  That is so much talent.

Jenny also helped me to embrace and love painting furniture with oil-based paint (although truthfully I haven't quite mastered it yet).  Her most recent DIY project is a folding screen with oil-based paint in glossy red and decoupaged fabric.



SHE MADE THAT.  It's magnificent.

I also love those glossy white floors, which she made out of freaking plywood (seriously), and then painted with oil based rustoleum in glossy white.  The chair is obviously genius, and that striped brass planter (she just took a brass planter and painted white stripes on it, again, because she's brilliant), is so cute.

Oh Jenny.  Never leave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment