Wednesday, April 1, 2015

In the mood for a great aesthetics: Making it Lovely

So, I wouldn't say that Making it Lovely is one of my favorite blogs (too much sponsored content, especially lately), but Nicole has one of my favorite aesthetics and I covet her house.  It's this big Victorian house in Chicago, and it's stunning.  But what I really love is the way she's designed the interior. She respects and honors the house's age while not getting bogged down by it.  She makes an ornate Victorian wildly modern and amazingly livable.



The house has all of this original woodwork.  It's a lot of look, and could easily dictate a fussy, fusty style, but she makes it work!  I love the ikea piece in the entry with the antique rug.



This is one half of the double parlor, and she painted it black!  It's so chic.  I really want to paint a room black.  Also?  I want a double parlor.  Like bad.


Here's the other half of the double parlor.  Nicole hired a carpenter to install the built-in bookcases to match the wood trim in the house.  I love that striped sofa so much.  I also love the pink paint that she chose.  It's the perfect shade!  It makes the rosiness of the oak trim make sense.  I only started reading this blog recently, shortly after they moved into the Victorian, but apparently Nicole is, like, known for her love of pink.  As a fellow pink-lover, I admire the way she makes pink work in a room without being totally obvious about it.  This pink is so subtle, and as she describes it, historical.  Fabulous.


Here's another view of the pink, with a peek at the entry.  That art is fabulous (she has really good art), and I love the way the chalky black of the secretary and the artwork play off the pink walls and the warm oak trim.  Somehow the mix is classic and historic, but fresh and modern.  It's feminine, but not girly.  Jeez, I just love it.



Here's how the two parlors work with one another.  It really is lovely.  I can't get enough of that pink and black.


She carried the pink into the dining room.  I love those chairs and that long table.  I also love that period pendant.  I love opaque milky glass. Yum!  

Somehow Nicole's style is kinda feminine, kinda industrial, modern, and yet period-appropriate.  But how?!  How does she do it?  After careful consideration, I think I may have cracked the code:

      long, clean lines (the dining room table, the double parlor, the trim, the ikea console, the striped           sofa) 
      soft colors (pale pink, warm wood, chalky black) 
      feminine details (flowers, leaves, soft rugs and pillows) 
      curves (bentwood chairs, camelback sofa) 
      the perfect mix

So now that we know why it works, the next question is: how can I translate it to my house?  My house is pretty much the opposite of a Victorian.  But surely there's a way I can use some of her ideas in my own 1980s-yet-midcentury house.  Surely I can incorporate Nicole's brilliant pairing of feminine and industrial, modern and antique.  Or at the very least I can bring in that pale, pale pink and the chalky, soft black, and maybe an antique rug?  Right?

What do you think of Nicole's style?  I think she's really talented!

No comments:

Post a Comment