Friday, May 1, 2015

In the mood to go thrifting!

I love me a good thrift store.  In Tampa, Sunshine Thrift is my favorite.  But there's also a good Goodwill near my house.  The other day, Brian and I found ourselves across town, right near a thrift shop I used to frequent when I was but a teenager in the early 1990s.  It's where I used to buy my jeans (that I would cut-off and distress) and my plaid flannel shirts.  That's right, kids, I was on trend in 1993, even in Tampa, where wearing flannel is not exactly comfortable.

So, thrift store furniture.  Some people might think it's gross.  When I was living in Long Beach, I mentioned to a work friend that I needed to get to the thrift store to furnish my new apartment, and he grimaced, and said, "Well, Ikea's not that expensive, is it?"  But that's not the point, you know?  It's not just about being cheap, (although hopefully it is), it's about getting a unique piece for your house.  I've furnished all of my various apartments over the years, as well as our current house, with a mixture of hand-me-down, second-hand, thrift, craigslist, Ikea, and new items.  I wouldn't do it any other way!

During this trip, I wasn't in the market for any furniture (sad emoji), but I found some good stuff and I thought I'd share.  Disclaimer: it's a thrift store, so obviously this stuff is going to need some work.  But, if the lines are good, and the price is right, why not? If you need any further encouragement, or vision for what a grungy thrift store piece can turn into, read Emily Henderson's blog.  I'm actually trying to train myself to be more Emily-like in my vision.

Let's go!


High-backed settee.  I think it was about $75.  Not too expensive, and while I'd definitely have it recovered and add some new legs, it's pretty great.  Check out Emily Henderson's post on reupholstering vintage furniture.  (I regret not taking a close-up of the pink chairs in the upper right hand corner of the above picture - they were dining chairs, completely upholstered and reminded me a little bit of this.  They were in bad shape and would have had to be immediately recovered, and I could never have them since my cats would destroy them within seconds, but they were sweet.)


Likewise, this little $35 tufted armchair is pretty sweet.  It might work as-is (the fabric wasn't in bad shape) but it would look lovely in an ivory linen.


Oh hey, $20 desk!  Your top is in bad shape, but you're pretty cute.  This one was small, too, so it would be perfect for a kids room.  I love those drawer pulls.  And, with the ruined top, it might be just the perfect opportunity to try a resin top project, like Jenny's faux-tortoise shell!


Um, hi.  Marble-topped side tables.  A pair of them.  In good shape.  They were $50/each but totally worth it.  The wood isn't my favorite, but painted black?  Get out.  I regret not buying these.  I really do.


Another desk, sorry for the bad pic.  What you need to know about this desk is that it's really big, really solid, has mid-century tapered legs, and was only $30.  Sure, it's faux wood laminate, but hey, nobody's perfect.  Besides, you can always paint laminate.  



Here's a cute little faux-bamboo dresser.


With matching mirror.  It needs to be cleaned and painted, but for $40, it's not bad.


And finally, this set.




A table and five chairs, made in Indonesia, for $250.  A little pricey for me, but to its credit, it's a nice set.  I kinda wished I had space for it.  You could do some fun ikat seat cushions and stick it on your porch.  That's what I'd do anyway.

So what about you?  Any good thrifting lately?  Sometimes I want to start a business where I buy stuff from thrift stores, re-do it all cool and then sell it.  That's a good thing to do with a law degree, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment