Thursday, June 4, 2015

In tha mood for tha muthafuckin' weekend

This has been the longest week ever.

Here's what I've experienced in the past week:

  • Friday: attended my girl Juliette's bachelorette party.  (SO much fun, but damn dude, I'm still hungover.  I think I might never drink again.  I always say that after a hangover, but I might actually mean it this time.  At the very least I need some serious time off.)
  • Saturday: hungover drive from Melbourne to Tampa.  AND I stopped at Ikea because I'm apparently a masochist.
  • Sunday: eh?  I think I repotted some plants, but I can't be sure.  Oh, I hung an Ikea Dyning canopy over our patio.  I'm less than thrilled.  Maybe I'll post about it soon.
  • Monday: attended Juliette's wedding.  SO beautiful, so much fun.  
  • Tuesday: work from 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
  • Wednesday: work from 8:45 a.m.to 2:30 a.m.  Oof.

And today is Thursday, which really isn't fair if you think about it.  I'm so tired.

But!  The weekend!  It's almost around the corner.  I can kinda see it out of the corner of my eye!  And I love it already!  Come here, little weekend, let's cuddle.

But the thing is, I have a problem with weekends.  Weekends make me happy and excited before they happen, apathetic during, and sad after.  I suffer from grandiose visions paired with general laziness and low self-expectations, which naturally leads to self-loathing for failing to achieve all I really want to achieve.  

Also?  I am no good at having fun on weekends.  I really don't like going anywhere because that would require me to shower and look like an adult human.  I don't like shopping on the weekends because everyone shops on weekends and everything is so busy.  Brunch makes me a little anxious.  Ordinarily I would want to grab a beer with my honey, but like I said, I'm not in a drinking place right now, so... nope.  I think my problem stems from the idea that "having fun" means "leaving the house," but I don't so much like to "leave the house" when I don't have to because it involves showering and getting dressed, so really all I want to do is stay home, but staying home doesn't = "having fun" but instead = "doing nothing" and "being a lazy asshole" and if I'm home, shouldn't I just be working on some project anyway?  I'm both weirdly hard on myself and incredibly self-indulgent.  I'm an enigma wrapped in a lazy mystery.

I don't know what's wrong with me.  I'm not sure if it's just a problem managing expectations or what, but I need a weekend intervention.  So I'm intervening myself.

My friend Autumn said that she likes to split her weekends 50-50: 50% work, 50% leisure.  So this weekend, I'm going to fastidiously implement that plan.  Due to the tendency to under-book my weekends, I'm going to try a slight over-booking, with the knowledge that I will be okay pairing it back a teense.

WORK:
  • clean the house (non-negotiable)
  • spray paint patio set (again) (weather permitting)
  • overhaul the backyard (weather permitting)
  • post furniture to sell on craigslist (weather permitting) (just kidding)
  • refinish furniture that I just bought on craigslist, including building planning? a base for my new campaign dresser!
  • donate clothes that I purged during my KonMari method experience
  • iron/steam clothes
FUN:
  • Go see a movie?  
  • Saturday cooking dinner/dance party with Brian
  • Beach?  Eh?
  • Something crafty?
  • Sleep?  Lots of it?
  • Binge watch something?  Maybe while doing a craft?
See, I told you I was no good at having fun on weekends.  I am so lame.  Seriously, though, what do you do for fun on the weekend?  Does brunch ever make you anxious or is it just me?




No comments:

Post a Comment